What is Health?
Early Greeks like Hippocrates as well as India Ayurveda system consider health as a state of body and mind where there was a balance of certain ‘humors’.
After that, In twentieth century, biology stated that mind influences, through neural and endocrine systems, our immune system and later maintains our health.
In 1948, the World Health Organization (WHO) defined health as –
“Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”. The WHO definition recognizes three dimensions of health : Physical, Mental and Social.
The term health does not means ‘absence of disease’ or ‘physical fitness’ It is determined by many factors and have a wide scope.
Types of Health :
We can divide health mainly into three types :
- Physical Health
- Mental Health
- Social Health
There are two more type of health that are Spiritual Health and Emotional Health.
Physical Heath :
Physical health means perfect functioning of all body parts like all internal organs and organ systems are working good to make a good physical health.
If you have not any disease that doesn’t means you are physically healthy. Physical health is determined by various laboratory tests to predict that you are healthy or not. For ex- The persons who are regularly smoking and drinking alcohol, and they don’t have any disease so we can not considered them as healthy.
To maintain a good physical health one have to do regularly Exercise, Eating healthy nutritional food and take enough sleep and receive medical services when necessary.
Avoiding bad habits like smoking, drinking alcohol, using illegally drugs, maintain good hygiene and using contraception when having sex can decrease your chances of disease.
Your physically health also be affected by mental conditions like depression, tension, mentally stress. They must be ignored to live a healthy lifestyle for long time.
The World Health Organization (WHO) describes mental health as “a state of well-being in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community”.
Mental health implies harmony between the individual and its environment. A mentally healthy person is free from tension, depression and anxiety and perform his work in a better way.
Mentally healthy person enjoy his life more and perform his functions better. Mentally healthy individuals are always happy, confident, bounce back from the tension and can take good decision with proper planning.
Unlike physical health, mental health is difficult to assess.
According to wikipedia many factors contribute to mental health problems, including:
- Biological factors, such as genes or brain chemistry
- Life experiences, such as trauma or abuse
- Family history of mental health problems
Social health means that every person living in society possesses basic requirement of life like good earning, good food, good and clean residential place, clean water for drinking, happy family, cooperative interaction with neighbors and friends and living a happy and cheerful life.
What factors determines our health?
There are so many factor that determine what your health will be. These factor strongly impact on your physical, social and mental health.
- Genetic disorder – the defects which a child inherits from parents since birth
- Life style – It includes what kind of food we eat, water we drink.
- Habits – Good habits make a good health and bad habits make bad health so habit play an important role in health.
- Rest – Minimum 8 hours sleep is mandatory for maintaining good health. Rest is necessary for our body for repairing.
- Exercise – Exercise can transform unhealthy body into a healthy and disease free body. Regularly exercise is very good if you want to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Environment factor – Environmental factors play a role in health. Sometimes, the environment alone is enough to impact health.
WHO suggest that the following factors may also have significant impact on health:
- where a person lives
- the state of the surrounding environment
- their income
- their level of education
- health care services
- employment conditions
- social support
How to maintain a good health?
To achieve a good health is not that hard as you think. Only you have to control some of your bad habits and implements some good habits in your life. The most necessary thing is that you have to become consistence on your good habits that is, you have to be regular on your good habits. If you can’t make it regular than stop doing these work two or three days (includes exercise, yoga, eating good food, avoiding smoking and drinks).
To maintain a good health it is necessary that we have to:
- eating a balanced, hygienic, nutritious diet from as many natural sources as possible
- drink minimum 5 liters of water per day because it remove toxins from our body.
- Do at least 1 hour of moderate to high-intensity exercise every day.
- held laboratory test for diseases in every 4 or 6 month
- learning to manage your stress.
- knowledge about disease and their effects on our body.
- Immunization against infectious diseases.
- Proper disposal of wastes and control of vectors.
- Sleep – According to wikipedia data the sleep time based on age is as follow:
|Age and Conditions||Sleep need|
|Newborns (0–3 months)||14 to 17 hours|
|Infants (4–11 months)||12 to 15 hours|
|Toddlers (1–2 years)||11 to 14 hours|
|Preschoolers (3–5 years)||10 to 13 hours|
|School-age children (6–13 years)||9 to 11 hours|
|Teenagers (14–17 years)||8 to 10 hours|
|Adults (18–64 years)||7 to 9 hours|
|Older Adults (65 years and over)||7 to 8 hours|
At last i will say only one line that ‘Health is Wealth’. If your have a healthy body then you didn’t need anything more.