What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a disease caused by a new strain (type) of coronavirus SARS-CoV 2. The name of this disease given by scientist in which ‘CO’ stands for Corona, ‘VI’ for Virus, and ‘D’ for Disease.
This virus 1st named as N-COV which means Novel Corona Virus. Novel means New because it spread so rapidly as Scientist could not gives a scientific name to it. So, they named it Novel Corona Virus.
COVID-19 disease is caused by SARS-CoV-2 (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2) virus which is a strain of SARS virus. SARS-CoV-2 is first recognised by the doctor of China in Wuhan city of China on 31st Dec 2019. As it is discovered in 2019 that’s why this virus has been named as COVID-19.
Symptoms of Coronavirus
The Incubation Period (The time period between Infection and disease) of Coronavirus is between 1 – 14 days. Most people show symptoms within 5-6 days. Usually some peoples have no symptoms because of strong immune system which fight with virus so that the body will not show any symptoms. However, infected patients can also be asymptomatic, meaning they do not display any symptoms but the virus in their system.
Coronavirus affects different people in different ways and the symptoms vary from person to person. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.
- Fever (83-99%)
- Dry cough (59-82%)
- Shortness of breath (31-40%)
- Headache (30-45%)
- Muscle pain (11-35%)
- Loss of taste or smell (15-30%)
Less common symptoms may include diarrhea, vomiting, or nausea.
- High Fever
- Difficulty in breathing
- High Chest pain
- Loss of Appetite
- Seek immediate medical attention if you have serious symptoms. Always call before visiting your doctor or health facility.
- On average the person infected with Coronavirus takes 5–6 days to show symptoms. However maximum time can be up to 14 days.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), older people are at higher risk of getting COVID-19 disease.
- Data suggest that the people of age group 80+ have 14% chance of death but the people of age group 10-40 have only 1% chance of death.
- It is also more dangerous to patient with underlying medical conditions like heart or lung disease or diabetes or high blood pressure.
Causes of Coronavirus
The main cause of coronavirus is Transmission via direct contact or indirect contact with infected person to healthy person.
- Coronavirus can be spreads by two ways : 1st when the people closely contact with each other. If you are in close contact with infected person or within 6 feet close then you canget infection. When the infected patient comes in contact with healthy person then he transmitted small droplets of coronavirus through his mouth while talking, sneezing or coughing. The small droplets then fall on healthy person and inhaled via air and then infect the healthy person.
- 2nd it is spreads when the infected person transmits infected droplets on floor, object or any other surface. When the healthy person touch infected surface then he/she can get infection. So it is advised not to touch your mouth, nose and face with your hand without sanitize them.
- This virus can survive up to 3 hours in air and if the virus fall on surface then they can survive for a day on cardboard and up to 3 days on plastic and steel.
- Although COVID‑19 is not a sexually transmitted disease, kissing, intimate contact, and faecal-oral routes are suspected to transmit the virus.
As we all know that prevention is better than cure. We can prevent this disease from spreading and also can protect us by implementing some good habits in our daily life. As we read above how dangerous this virus is and what are the impacts of this virus so we have to fight with this virus. Being a human if we can not defeat this virus, at least we must have to fight with virus.
To prevent spread of COVID-19
- Clean your hand with soap and water or alcohol based hand rub or use sanitizer to kill germs from your hand.
- Keep distance from the people who is coughing or sneezing and maintain a distance up to 10 meters.
- Always wear mask in public place and don’t touch your face with your hands with washing or sanitize.
- Cover your nose and mouth with your elbow or tissue or hanky while sneezing.
- Stay home and follow your govt. rules of lockdown and don’t go outside without an urgent work.
- If you feeling unwell and have fever, dry cough and difficulty in breathing then call medical team despite of visiting.
- Follow the direction of you local health authority and government.
If you follow all the guidelines and did not close contact with Coronavirus positive patient after that you have symptoms like cold and cough then don’t panic. These symptoms may be of common cold or flu or any other. In above picture you can compare symptoms of COVID-19 with other disease that also have some common symptoms.